Version 7.0 | Version 6.0.1 | Version 6.0 | Version 5.0
What’s New in Version 5.0
Version 5.0 of Aren Payroll and Aren Register is a major revision of version 4.0.1. It was first released in March 2011 and has been updated several times since then. Here are main improvements as of Update 10 (post-release changes are shown in blue):
- Additional personal details are captured in the personnel file—photo, next of kin and dependants.
- Maternity leave has been generalised to parental leave so as to cater for paternity leave. Compassionate leave has also been added.
- The user can comment on why someone was absent from work.
- Earnings can be calculated on the numbers of days worked.
- Earnings can be a percentage of the actual basic pay earned, rather than the fixed monthly salary.
- Deductions that are a percentage of total earnings (excluding lump sums and refunds) have been added.
- Time and attendance data can be imported into the payroll. Users with clocking systems no longer need to enter this data manually. (Premier edition only)
- Payment data can be saved in UBA, Ecobank and National Bank EFT file formats.
- 9. Pay groups have been added to the Standard edition. This makes it possible to filter certain reports (e.g. payslips, cash list and bank transfer report) by pay point, pay date or any other user-defined criterion. Previously, pay groups were only available in the Premier edition.
- The option to tax the employer’s pension contribution on the employee is now available. This is legal requirement for employers who are exempt from tax.
- Tax data can be saved iTax CSV format.
- There is an option to print ID numbers (PIN, NSSF, NHIF and national ID numbers).
- There is an option to print the payment mode (bank transfer, cheque or cash). Where the payment mode is bank transfer, bank account details are also printed.
- Generic messages e.g. Merry Xmas can be printed on payslips. Employees in each pay group have their own message.
- Headings in payslips can be printed in black, royal blue, firebrick or forest green (default).
- Job title, co-operative contribution balances and the PAYE Info section are all optional.
- There is an option to print each payslip on a full page. This makes it possible to PDF individual payslips manually using third-party software.
- There is a joiners report showing employees who joined the organisation in the last one year, last three months or in the current year.
- The payroll variance report has been added. This report shows the differences between the muster rolls for any two pay periods.
- The basic pay report has been expanded to show pay rate and time worked.
- There is an option to show non-cash benefits in the muster roll.
- All reports can be exported to text files. In the previous version only about half the reports could be exported.
- Unlimited report history has been scrapped. Instead, report files are retained for a maximum of ten years and a minimum of two before being discarded.
- There is a single Find dialog box. Previously, there were separate dialog boxes for finding by employee number and finding by last name.
- Ctrl-P prints reports, Ctrl-F opens the Find dialog box.
- The message Do you wish to back up your data? that appears when the program is closing can be switched off.
- The program remembers whether the last user logged on in multi-user or single user mode. In the login dialog box, it defaults to the last login mode. (Premier edition only).
- In previous versions arrow keys were inactive within edit boxes in data-entry forms. This has been fixed.
- In data-entry forms, when records are ordered by last name, the first name is also taken into account so as to correctly order employees with the same last name. For example, Mutua, Alfred comes before Mutua, Eric. In the previous version, only the last name was considered, so the order of employees with the same last name was often wrong.
- When the control account is longer than one page, the program prints as many rows as possible and inserts a row of ellipses (…) to indicate the there are some missing rows. To print the entire report, the user can save it as a text file and then open it with a spreadsheet e.g. Microsoft Excel.
- In some unusual cases, reports for the current period are not updated automatically by the program. It is now possible to delete all temporary report files explicitly using a menu option which fixes the problem.